Balsamic Roasted Cherry Ice Cream
With the arrival of Summers the thought of Ice Cream is always on my mind. This time wanted to do something really different. Had read about Balsamic Glaze being drizzled over fruits for enhancing the taste. So went ahead and combined the Balsamic Glaze roasted Cherries with a basic egg based Ice Cream. – Balsamic Roasted Cherry Ice Cream
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook time:40 minutes
Servings : 4, Level : Medium
2 Cups Pitted Cherries (I used canned Cherries)
2 Tbsp Balsamic Glaze
1 tsp Vanila Extract
1 Cup Whole Milk
3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
A Pinch of Salt
4 Large Eggs
1 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
Note : Balsamic Glaze can be prepared by reducing 4 parts of Balsamic Vinegar mixed with 1 part of Brown Sugar to around 1/3rd of its volume.
1. Preheat Oven to 160°C and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the Cherries with Balsamic Glaze and Vanilla Extract.
3. Spread the Cherries on the baking sheet so that they do not overlap and roast them at 160°C for 20-25 minutes. Let Cool.
4. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring Sugar, Milk and Salt to a simmer.
5. Whisk the Eggs in a small bowl and add a little amount of the simmering milk to temper the eggs. Mix well.
6. Very slowly, pour the egg mixture into the simmering milk mixture, stirring constantly so that you do not scramble the eggs.
7. Continue whisking after addition of eggs until the custard has thickened. Remove from heat.
8. Prepare an ice-bath in a large bowl and place the heavy cream in a medium bowl over the ice-bath.
9. Strain the custard through a sieve into the cream bowl. Discard any solids.
10. Fold in gently half of the Balsamic roasted Cherries. Keep aside half of the roasted cherries.
11. Pour in this mixture into an airtight container.
12. Now press cling film onto the surface of the ice cream making sure there is no air space in between the ice cream and the film. Close the lid and refrigerate..
13. Take the mixture out every 2 hours and churn it with an electric hand mixer . Refrigerate again.
14. Follow Step 13 for 3-4 times or until there are no water crystals left in the ice cream. Remember to refrigerate every time with the cling film..
15. Add in the rest of the roasted cherries when you churn it for the last time. Press cling film on to the surface and refrigerate overnight.
16. Scoop , Garnish as desired and serve.