I still remember those days… when I was a kid my mom used to make these chops at home. Actually, I got hooked onto them when I had them for the first time while going to Kolkata by train. The vendors used to get on the train from a station called ‘Jhargram’ which was famous for their vegetable chops… or should I say “Bhejetable Chops” as they were called. Those chops had beetroot, potatoes, groundnuts and some veggies all wrapped around biscuit powder and deep fried…. sprinkled with some rock salt or chaat masala. The vendors used to serve these with finely sliced onions and carrots.
Boy, I was so fond of these that I used to wait for “Jhargram” station to come and used to gobble down 4-5 at a time…. haha.. those were the days !
What I now make at home is a bit of a deviation to those vegetable chops… tweaking them so that my little ones can have and these Beetroot Chops are indeed a soul food at my home today…
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
Serves : 4, Level : Easy
1 Medium Sized Beetroot (Boiled)
5 Medium Sized Potatoes (Boiled)
3-4 Garlic Cloves (smashed)
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
1 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
Salt To Taste
Refined Oil for Deep Frying
1. Mash the boiled potatoes and beetroot together in a large bowl.
2. Now add salt, black pepper powder and smashed garlic and mix well.
3. Whisk two eggs in a bowl.
4. Now shape the beet-potato mix into chops as visible in the pic.
5. Dip each chop in the whisked eggs so as to coat them evenly and roll into the bread crumbs.
6. Repeat Step 5 to make a double coating. Set aside.
7. Heat Refined Oil in a wok. When hot gently place the chops and deep fry them till golden brown. Drain.
8. Serve hot with chutney or sauce and a glass of piping hot tea for a perfect adda experience.
** While the chops are getting fried, be gentle and avoid stirring too much as the chops might break.