Homemade Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
Paneer or Cottage Cheese is a high protein ingredient enriched with calcium. Though easily available in markets still I prefer to make them at home. The process to make paneer is very simple and can be done in a jiffy without any hassles.
All you need is 2 ingredients and you are done with soft paneer at home without compromising on its qualities. Homemade is definitely the best and when it comes to little children we prefer to treat them with as much healthy and homemade stuffs as possible.
I have used Calcium Lactate to make paneer as it ensures a better quality by enriching it with calcium and without acidic formation that is generated by citrus elements like lemon. You can however use lemons too. But I suggest Calcium Lactate for a healthier version of Paneer. Now you might be wondering where can I find this Calcium Lactate? The answer is any local grocery store or medical store… Its easily available… So, now lets get into how to make this basic paneer at home so that you can enjoy all the paneer delicacies without a fuss…
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
Makes : 250 gms(approx.), Level : Easy
2 litres Cow Milk
1 heaped Tsp Calcium Lactate (or Juice of 2 Medium Sized Lemons)
1. Put the milk to boil in a vessel.
2. In the meanwhile dissolve 1 heaped Tsp of Calcium Lactate in 2 Tbsp water (or if you are using lemons – Squeeze out the juice in a bowl and set aside).
3. As soon as the milk starts to boil add in the calcium lactate(or lemon juice) and let it boil for a minute. Turn off the gas.
4. Do not stir. Let it sit for 5 mins. You can see that the whey is separated and the cheese floats on top.
5. Strain this mixture with a colander lined with a cheesecloth or muslin cloth.
6. Hold all the ends of the muslin cloth together to form a potli(bag) and tie it tightly with a rubberband.
7. Now keep this over a turned plate and keep a heavyweight on top of it. Leave it undisturbed for around 2-3 hours.
8. After 2-3 hours open the muslin cloth and you can find soft homemade paneer ready to use.