Kadai Paneer (Cottage Cheese cooked in Spicy Gravy)
Kadai Panner is cottage cheese cooked in Spicy and tangy tomato gravy with smoked flavours. The addition of capsicum takes the paneer dish to a higher level.
Paneer is a delicacy cooked in almost every household of North India. I have been having paneer since my childhood at home or at restaurant. Coming from a vegetarian family there were not too many options when it came to restaurant dining. So paneer was always a favourite and when it came to cooking the same at home I never found that restaurant like flavours in my mom’s cooking.
Was looking out for these flavours from a long time and finally I can say I nailed it. I really did achieve that restaurant flavours! And boy I am excited!
And what more I made the Paneer too at home. So its a complete homemade package. From the Basic Homemade Paneer to the restaurant style Kadai Panner all achieved and yes I am bursting with Joy. My hubby who is a big fan of Paneer after chicken and mutton gave it a positive approval and yes when served with naan I did not miss the restaurant anymore.
You can find the recipe of Homemade Paneer here.
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook time:30 minutes
Serves : 2, Level : Medium
250 gms Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
2 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Butter
2 Tbsp Refined Oil
2″ Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaf
1 Big Cardamom
2-3 Green Cardamom
2 Dried Red Chillies
2-3 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
1 Medium Sized Onion (Finely Chopped)
1 Large Capsicum (Chopped into 2″ pieces)
4 Medium Sized Tomatoes (Finely Chopped)
2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
3/4 Tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp Kasuri Methi (Crushed)
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to Taste
A Pinch of Sugar
Chunk of Coal (Optional)
1. Cut the paneer into 1″ cubes.
2. Take 2 Tbsp Oil in a Wok and slightly fry the paneer cubes. Keep the fried paneer aside.
3. Now add 2 Tbsp Butter to the Oil in the wok. Now add the bay leaf,cinnamon stick, big and green cardamoms, cloves and saute till fragrant.
4. Add the finely chopped onions and chopped capsicum and stir till soft.
5. Now add the ginger garlic paste and the chopped garlic and fry till the raw smell goes away.
6. Add in the chopped tomatoes, a pinch of sugar and salt as per the gravy and cook covered on low flame till the tomatoes are soft.
7. Now add all the powdered spices and kasuri methi and cook on high flame till the oil separates.
8. Now add in the paneer and salt as per it and cook on high flame for 3-4 Mins.
9. Lower the flame and cook covered till the gravy coats the paneer nicely.
10. Heat the charcoal on gas till it catches flame. Keep it in a small steel bowl and pour 1 Tsp Butter over it and keep the bowl inside the paneer wok and cover. Turn off the gas.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rotis/naan/kulchas/rice/pulao and vinegar onions.Enjoy!