Nolen Gur’er Ice Cream
Speak of winters… and the first thought that comes to my mind is Nolen Gur (Date Palm Jaggery). This jaggery is an intrinsic part of Bengal Culture and Cuisine. A seasonal delicacy that is used to make delectable desserts. Check out this Nolen Gur’er Ice Cream
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook time:1 hour
Servings : 2, Level : Medium
2 Cups Heavy Cream (I used Amul whipping cream)
1 Cup + 1/4 Cup Milk
2 tbsp Cornflour
1 Cup Nolen Gur (Liquid)
4 Tbsp Nolen Gur (Liquid) for drizzling
NOTE : If you are using any other jaggery (Gur) – chop into small bits and melt with 2 tbsp. water.
1. Mix 2 tbsp. Cornflour in 1/4 Cup of cold Milk.
2. Put the remaining 1 Cup of Milk to boil.
3. As the Milk starts to boil, add the cup of cornflour mixed milk to it and stir vigorously so that no lumps are formed. It should be a smooth custard.
4. Now strain this custard in a large bowl (With a lid).
5. Mix in 1 Cup of Nolen Gur to the custard and stir constantly for around 5 minutes.
6. Now take a large vessel half filled with Ice cold water. Place the bowl of custard on it and fold in the heavy cream.
7. Now press cling film onto the surface of the custard making sure there is no air space in between the custard and the film. Close the lid and refrigerate.
8. Take the mixture out every 2 hours and churn it with an electric hand mixer . Refrigerate again.
9. Follow Step 8 for 3-4 times or until there are no water crystals left in the Ice Cream. Remember to refrigerate everytime with the cling film.
10. Scoop and serve with drizzled Nolen Gur.
Enjoy the delicious flavor of Nolen Gur’er Ice Cream !