Pavlova is a Meringue based dessert named after the beautiful Russian Ballet Dancer Anna Pavlova. This dessert is believed to have originated during one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s.
Beating of eggs till stiff peaks, baking it to perfection and then topping it up elegantly was a big challenge for me. But after doing it I realised its one of the easiest one to prepare. A crisp dessert on the outside with gooey center inside, it is one of the most beautiful looking desserts I have ever seen. Loads of whipping cream and use of fresh fruits makes this awesome dessert more appealing to me. My treat to my kids and my hubby this Valentines.
Thanks to the beautiful Chef Nigella Lawson for this wonderful recipe… And thank you Sai Priya ([email protected]) for the amazing recipe book that you gifted me last year… I have finally put it to some good use. Love you loads!!!
Wish you all a Very Happy Valentine’s Day!!! Love you all!!!
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook time:90 minutes
Serves : 6, Level : Medium
(For the Chocolate Meringue Base)
6 Egg Whites
300 gms (1 & 1/3 Cup) Caster Sugar
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder(Sieved)
50 gms Dark Chocolate Chips
1 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
(For the Topping)
500 ml Whipping Cream (I used Non Dairy Version)
400 gms Canned Cherries(You can use whichever fruit you like or a combination)
2-3 Tbsp Coarsely Grated Dark Chocolate(For Garnishing)
1. In a bowl take whipping cream and beat till stiff peaks.
2. Set aside in the refigerator.
3. Now in another bowl take 6 egg whites and beat till soft peaks are formed.
4. Beat in the sugar, one spoon at a time and continue beating until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
5. Sprinkle the cocoa, vinegar and chocolate chips and gently fold in until the cocoa is mixed in.
6. Grease a baking sheet of 12″ diameter and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
7. Now pour the meringue in the centre and make a fat circle of so that it leaves 2″ gap from the circumference. Smoothen the sides and top.
8. Place in the oven and bake at 160°C for 1 & 1/2 hours or until the surface is crisp and does not wobble. The centre should be a bit gooey.
9. Turn off the oven and open the door slightly and let the meringue cool to room temperature.
10. Now gently place the meringue on the serving plate. Mount the whipped cream (in the refrigerator) on the meringue.
11. Top with lots of cherries or fruits as desired.Share with your partner and everyone. Happy Valentine’s Day!